Tuesday 12 April 2011

"A very large number" of monkeys tapping away "non-randomly" at "a very large number of" keyboards

The only two differences between the postulated infinite number of monkeys typing randomly away at an infinite number of keyboards and Facebook/Gmail Blog etc is that the number of people is not equal to infinite and their typing is not random (to the most part).
Borges (I recall that our new follower has an interest in this guy, so I thought I better write a post on a Borges related theme) wrote the 'Library of Babel', an infinite-sized (or Universe-sized) library comprising of a vast collection of 410 page books. Every book is a random set (not sex) of characters and therefore most books comprise gibberish, but in this infinitely sized library there will be found by random chance a book comprising all the secrets of the universe. Finding this book would be nearly impossible.
But anywho, allowing the injustice I have done in describing Borges work and reiterating, the two major differences between Facebook/Gmail Blog etc is that the authors/work is not infinite (although comprise a very large number) and the work is not random. I propose that for one hour, one day, every year (like Earth Hour) every author of a Facebook/Gmail blog account types random entries. Who knows, by pure chance one blog may give a secret truth of the Universe?

4 comments:

  1. Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything (42).

    Salud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surreal, SHS!
    Conjuring memories of some of the thousands of posts on that old Unofficial site.
    If anyone had looked me in the eye and told me that those posts had been made by a pile of monkeys typing away at random keyboards, I would have believed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too.

    and now I need to go and pick some lice out of the coats of my troupe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. school holidays.
    always a time for delousing & combantrin.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete