Monday 11 April 2011

review times two

"the wide sargasso sea" Saw this eons ago, but picked it up at library on weekend for another spin. period piece, set in british west indies. aristocratic second son seeks fortune and well-dowried missus in the islands - finds same in orphaned ward of old friend's father. slightly mental but very perty dark haired lass, who it transpires is creole, and of dubious parentage. pair fall madly in love after a semi-arranged marriage, rumours, drink, high level sex scenes (lots of 'em .. don't watch with teens), madness, then the sweet relief of both dropping dead at the end. him at her hands, her at her own. art-housey and interesting in its day, now a modest 5/10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2qLFiCLkQ "taking woodstock" now I love ang lee. I mean, I don't just love him, I worship him. for my money he's possibly the best director alive, and one of the best that ever lived. when I saw his name on this I had to bring it home with me, obviously. and while I enjoyed it very much, it's probably his worst film ... though it feels deeply weird to say that about dear ang. I blame the collaborative nature of the thing - just too many cooks. his personal touches are felt though, and can be seen in casting choices if not much else. a complete newcomer in lead (literally, never acted before), and a host of worthies in strong character roles. the amazing imelda staunton, for egs, as the shrewishly jewish mother. based on a true story, adapted from book of same. young bloke home from NY for summer to help aging parents in their failing, run-down motel on outskirts of the very town in which woodstock was held. gets caught up in early manouverings and helps negotiate the deal betwixt concert peeps and the farmer who provided the land, etc. his parents motel is booked solid by organisers and their hangers-on, immersing our hero, elliot, in hippy culture and giving his bitter russian emigre parents an education. refreshingly free from a love story, though elliot does get a little action in the way of a briefly glimpsed fling with one of the carpenters recruited to build the staging for the concert. anyhoo, a lovely 2 hour romp in small town america at a time of great change. music, nudity, mud, music, grass, hippies, more grass, acid, manlove, ladylove, music. 9/10 just because I enjoyed it so much - being the tragic old hippy that I am. in the real world, prolly a 6/10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlLD_7k68BM

3 comments:

  1. I'm accumulating a list for the upcoming evenings of blissful homework devoidation.
    Think the latter DVD will be on it.
    Ta for your illustrious reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picked up Woodstock for a psychedelic fest. Groovy. I could have so been in the 60s.

    ReplyDelete