Sunday 29 May 2011

My Sunday morning

Alright, so last night I babysat my sister's kids for the first time overnight at her place while she went out and had fun with friends. First of all I had to field the endless questions of where she was and why she wasn't home with them. We got past that, but because the younger one had a late afternoon nap he was not keen to go to bed early. With him staying up, the older one wanted to stay up. I wasn't in the mood for arguments so I let him. Not a problem really because he ended up falling asleep on the couch before his lil brother went to bed. The issue started when I had to move him into his bed. He woke and with being in a new room last night, he hated it and started to kick up a stink about it. Being the nice aunty I put him on a mattress in the room that I was sleeping in. Less drama that way. Lil one went down with not a peep at all. So much so that when I had a friend rang to talk, I spent 2hrs on the phone to her and didn't have to worry about if he was still awake or not, as he was out like a light. When I finally got to bed I couldn't get comfortable, then I couldn't sleep. Counted my lucky stars that the older one was not sharing the bed with me as he tossed and turned most of the night. Finally my eyes closed and I drifted into a light sleep. I woke in the morning with the older one coughing and climbing into the bed next to me to tell me that it was time to get up. I was not impressed with that concept, even less so when I looked at the time. Managed to delay him by all of 5mins before he was starting to get on my nerves asking about breakfast. Getting up I told him that his brother was still asleep and that he had to be quiet. A clearly unknown concept to him. I am not a morning person on the best of days, even less so on a weekend. turned my back for a second and older one was in the little one's room waking him and talking to him. At least the little one was in a good mood and I got a hug from him before he started asking for mum again. Breakfast for both boys is now sorted. Both are playing nice, however I need to go and change a dirty nappy. The joys of being an aunty. Will have to get over not being a morning person if this is to happen again. Have a good day

5 comments:

  1. ha ha. Those broken-sleeped nights are all too familiar. Glad to be past them. Wish I'd had a handy aunty to babysit back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so has this cast a giant spanner into your cluckage, love?

    it's pretty rude, that sleep deprivation that comes with youngens. I couldn't do it again to save me very loife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahahahahaheeheeeheeehohohohoho
    Not laughing at you, BIQ. Just the deranged chuckling of an un- morning person who is woken at 4am and again at 6am regularly....and who fights the good fight come bedtime each night (I'm a philosophical loser as well as an occasional winner..)
    Your sis is very very lucky to have you me dear....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well..... it hasn't put a stop to the cluckiness, but my sisters attitude has made me bite my tongue on saying yes to doing it again for a while.

    Weighing it up, I would certainly still go for having kids if I could. I could get used to lack of sleep if I needed to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BIQ sounds like you've done really well, and have had a pleasant Sunday morning to a degree. best of all, you get to hand them back. You can't lose as an aunty.

    ReplyDelete