Friday 6 May 2011

Another random musing

It is a common expression that people hear on the streets these days, "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny". Apparently back in my embryo days I moved from fish-like to bird-like etc etc eventually getting to human-like, i.e. reliving the evolutionary trail from potato through to man, and going back the other way, paedomorphosis, is when a descendant has juvenile traits of the ancestor, like humans resembling a juvenile ape... What has this got to do with anything? I came to realise that during any given day I can be having a paedomorphic transformation into a juvenile or recapitulating into the form of an ancestor depending on how much sleep I have had. When I am up at some goddam hour of the morning my lizard-brain usually is doing all kinds of fishy thinking, the juvenile usually does not come out until I am all well rested. But during the day I can have lizard and baby moments, it is that whole circles within circles thing... like Fortuna's wheel in Boethius and The Confederency of Dunces. Change luck into recapitulation and paedomorphosis, and a person can find themself de- or re- evolving in days, weeks and years etc (eventually everyone looks like an adult chimpanzee, all wrinkled with hairs coming out of their ears). I believe if I stay up for five nights running by the fifth night I will have the same thinking capacity as a turnip... hyuk hyuk hyuk

4 comments:

  1. then be careful.
    if you stay up for over five nights I shall put you in my next batch of chicken stock and serve you up in chestnut soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that I wrote this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PISHA! exactly what I was thinking, wilms!

    noice for a hearty broth. public relations soup :p

    @ smokey .... I'm now watching for the waxing and waning of vegetables in my psyche, and the impost of monkeys in my perambulations. ta :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strike me Pink! Is this what they are teaching our young people at Yooniversity?

    I'd recommend a Yoga panacea for you, Smoko. The sound of the breathing is louder than the chatter of the mind.

    ReplyDelete