Thursday 21 July 2011

Movie Review: Mr Poppers Penguins

The last hoorah of the holidays was daughter and self traipsing off to see this offering. Jim Carey's in it. This announcement was enough to have hubby and my mother gagging, looking at me pityingly and saying 'rather you than me..'
So: Movie is a whimsical tale and was probably a cute novel about a divorced chappy whose crazy explorer father sends him some penguins, who end up reuniting him with his family. Then Hollywood got hold of it and because it was made in 2010, Jim Carey is starring; if it had been 10-20 years ago, Robyn Williams or Bill Murray would have gotten the gig. Angela Lansbury plays an eccentric old lady, which is typecasting for you. Would have been a 6/10 without Jim Carey. Gets a 4.75/10. Hang about. Extra points for being the first film that wasnt an animation that my child has ever sat through. Ok; 5.75/10

3 comments:

  1. It looked REALLY bad on the previews. Even my kids thought it looked REALLY bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, well, it was more along the bad lines than REALLY bad. Appropriate for a four year old. Penguins were cute.
    BTW, since I wrote this review I googled the book and read the synopsis, which had nothing, NOTHING to do with the synopsis of the movie except there were penguins and a dude called Mr Popper. Hollywood really cant help itself from going all pooey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we had a physical recoil reaction to the telly teasers at our house, too. but not kid#2, who can't WAIT to see it, god love her. so I'm in for it. of course, this will be balanced by the obligation to take kid#1 to Harold Potter - which I'm actually looking forward to.

    as for hollywood and their bludgeoning of art ... see 'true grit' :}

    ReplyDelete