Saturday 31 March 2012

Hunger Games Trilogy (books)

Betty, I think you had a review of this somewhere on this blog but I'm too lazy to scroll back and find it. Heres what I thought: A beautiful tragedy set in a futuristic dystopia with characters who I cared about, and who have stayed with me. I struggled to finish the third book, partly because the battle in the Capitol was so unrelievedly unpleasant, partly because I was so attached to the characters that I was afraid of turning the pages and finding who lived and who dies, and partly because I didn't want the series to end. Intense themes for a trilogy aimed at older adolescents and young adults. Lots to talk about with your children. Disturbing that the movie is being promoted as ' The New Harry Potter'. More like 'The New Lord of the Flies meets Brave New World'. This material is completely inappropriate for younger kids. I know of grade 6 kids, eg 11 year olds, at one of our local primary schools who are hassling their parents to take them over the school holidays. Nope. not on. I look forward to seeing the movie soon....glad Suzanne Collins is around to write for us again Ps....will go find Bets review now....

4 comments:

  1. Betty, loved your reviews but I think zi liked Mockingjay more than you. ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for a happy ending

    ReplyDelete
  3. You MUST see the film - or at least google pics of the characters. Seneca has a great beard (I'd try & grow one if I could), & I loved Stanley Tucci as Cesar Flickerman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm going, I'm going... If I can manage it'll be on Thursday...

    ReplyDelete