Tuesday 14 June 2011

TV Show Review- Offspring

So: I'm a mum, early 40s. I used to watch Secret Life Of Us when I was sharehousing and single. On Monday nights these days, hubby is usually downstairs working, and the kids are in bed. All of this is Very Important when reviewing Offspring, because I suspect that it was made with my demographic in mind...They even use the same voice over narrative technique thingy that they used in Secret Life of Us. Lets hope it's bringing Asher Keddie as much voiceover commercial work as Samuel Johnson had a few years ago..
I missed the first series, partly because of the crap reviews I read from (male) reviewers like Jim Schembri in The Age. Then Asher Keddie starred in Paper Giants a while ago on the ABC, and I decided I wanted a little more of her marvellous poise, and switched onto Offspring. Could be it was the best way to do it. Could be that watching Keddie play comedy is more enticing after all of that high status stuff she did in Paper Giants. Could also be that Offspring series 2 is better than series 1 was.....
What's good? Fab cast, for a start. Keddie, Kat Stewart, John Waters, Eddie Perfect, Deborah Mailman...they've filled the show with strong actors who have range and are likeable as well as gorgeous. Then there's the storylines, which swing around a little, from soapopera-ish to introspective/insightful, to slapstick. None of the storylines are new, but they're still funny: Billy desperately wants a baby, so Mick's gay brother is given a turkey baster to see if he can help out. But the door rings as he's handing it over and the dog nearly eats it...
Hey, I have a gorgeous kooky family who manage to do the professional dance of life at work, and at the same time have to hold each other together through our individual and group dysfunction... I dont know if we'd make as good viewing as Offspring, but I know that it makes me the perfect audience for this show. If you havent tuned in yet there's a bit of story to catch up, but I'd still recommend it. 7.9/10

5 comments:

  1. If only you had done their promos instead of the promo department, I may have watched it. We're doing Amazing Race Aust on a Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I doubt I ever would have won you lot over, Betty...you've been an Amazing Race devotee for quite some time, as I recall....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go against anything that an Age critic writes, particularly if his name is Schembri, a person who I'm pleased to say almost any artist has more talent than in their chosen profession than that man seems to have in his, or perhaps he is unhappy in his professed calling and actually secretly wants to be an artist. Whatever, in plain language, he's a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much Schembri rage! Is there a story, or just years of disaffection with his opinions? Not even sure if he's the one we should be calling names- I just recall The Age having a chappy write a review of the first series that was bad....And he could have been right you know, I never watched series one, and the Offspring ensemble is definitely working as a team now- it's had a year to settle down..

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps- btw Jonesy, you watched Offsppring? Opinion? I suspect fellas aint going to be fans...

    ReplyDelete