Monday 27 June 2011

DVD Review: The Kings Speech

I expected it to be good, and it was. I expected to sit back and enjoy a script elegantly crafted and the work of fine actors and I wasn't disappointed, at all ,at all...
What surprised me was- the many layers of Firth's King George. Here I was waiting for Mr Darcy to glare compellingly, stutter and occasionally say something eloquent. Instead we are given a well rounded character: an angry, defensive abrupt man whose grief is tripping him up and tying his tongue; who has always lived in the shadow of his father's and his brother's status, but nonetheless, understands himself as royalty.
Big claps for the rest of the thespians as well. Rush, Bonham Carter, Claire Bloom, Timothy Spall, Derek Jacobi.....Guy Pearce gets an extra round of applause because I revel in the deliciousness of them casting a filthy colonial to play the man who refused to be King....
What can I add? Watching Timothy Spall, Helena Bonham Carter and Micheal Gambon at work in the Kings Speech reminded me of how many pommy actors have been caught up in the Harry Potter fillums over the years...all popping up in this film too, all there to remind us of just how well the British do this sort of thing, and what good sports they are to do it with us Australians nowadays, you know...
Read an interview with Geoffrey Rush some time ago, where he mentioned that when he read the script, he thought it would be a big risk. I think he was exaggerating, because he chose to become an executive producer; I'm sure he knew he was onto something. But I dont want to nitpick with the wonderful Mr Rush. I'm grateful that he brought this work out for our pleasure. I'm sure someone else has said this before me, but long live the Kings Speech. 8/10

2 comments:

  1. I was kinda hoping it wouldn't be good, just because my ma raved over it. But it was universally fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking rool forward to finding this on the 'new to weekly' shelf now :D

    ReplyDelete