Tuesday 3 April 2012

Worshipping at the Church of the Great God IPad

Soooooo In the past 48 hours in my spare time, I have read 2 Twilight novels via ipad,and borrowed 2 Twilight movies via IPad ($4 per movie, around the same as a vid store but without leaving the house). Having devoured all of that late noughties zeitgeist palaver I am now sitting with aforesaid I pad blogging about it. I can't get enough of this little darling. I've bought an app called garage band for five bucks which does roughly the same work on creating a music demo as a studio worth thousands can do but I haven't done anything with it yet because I've been watching and reading so much freaking Twilight stuff, oh, aside from the three hours free I had today (kids at child care) when I ran away to the cinema for The Hunger Games. So heres my commentary on my popular culture binge: Twilight the Movie: is unintentionally funny, isn't it? RPat and his bad makeup, and even worse lines. He does a decent James Dean as a Vampire impersonation, tho. And all of those vampires wearing so much white makeup they look like they've all walked out of a Marcel Marceau convention...Teenagers and their obsessions with sex and death and addictions to same....anyone remember Liquid Sky? My first mad cult film. Aliens, heroin and orgasms. 1980s. reminder to self: find Liquid Sky on YouTube via Ipad and post clip to blog. By the way, the soundtrack to Twilight the Movie is kickarse, ain't it? I'll have to download it because I LOVED IT. My favorite Twilight character is Alice. I'm sure there's a whole Alice fan club out there. Relieved that Bella is slightly (VERY SLIGHTLY) less passive than she is in the book. New Moon. The Book: more fun and games....Eeeew, not happy with Sam and Emily and Emilys face being half pulled off but she loves him deeply anyway and thats just the risk that take because he can't help himself if he's angry; thats crap. I haven't worked with women escaping domestic violence for some years now, but Ive done enough to have met many many women who would agree with Emily and who would believe that it's just the risk girls take for running with wolves...so, is this what teenage girls think is love? Oh dear. Looks like there'll be plenty of work in DV services for years to come then, if I ever wanted to go back to it. which I don't. I wouldn't be up on my high horse but I have a fair idea of how HUGE these books were for adolescents. so I am. On my high horse. Lovely view from here... The Hunger Games the movie: hey, Margaret and David gave Twilight 4 stars and they gave the Hunger Games 1. How does that work? I admit, the Hunger Games soundtrack has nothing on Twilights. But the material and the performances are great. I especially liked Lenny Kravitz as Katniss's dress designer with depth, and, of course, Jennifer Lawrence was great Rightio then. Off to finish the New Moon movie....will post Liquid Sky when I can...

6 comments:

  1. a) and that whole teen "post break-up break-down" is so not healthy as a model
    b) soundtracks for Twi1, Twi2, and Twi3 are all killers. Got the lot - but haven't loaded Twi4a yet.
    c) David & Margaret gave THG 1? WTF!
    d) I'm all for superior high-horsing. neigh!
    e) I couldn't picture Lenny doing Cinna - but he pulled it off with just a hint of gold eyeliner. In my head, Cinna was more Carson Kressley.
    f) ipad - haven't gone down that route - yet. How do you hire movies? Is it through itunes?
    g) Didn't you just LOVE Seneca's beard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that whole series is a disaster for teen girls, from start to dire finish. soundtrack of the first flick is completely and unexpectedly awesome. I still play it regularly.

    hmmm ... david & madge pooped on THG, eh. well, I do generally trust their judgement. and twilight the movie WAS quite a good little flick (even though the rest of them are godawful) - unintentional funnies notwithstanding. it certainly has its art. all that blue tint and 3 frames per second stuff :p

    lenny kravitz ... num num

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah, garage band is fantastic! we have it here, and the boyfolk love it to death. kid#1 is constantly composing techno tunes, and the husbot fiddles around with guitar stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Betts:
    a) Yes, fully. See clip I posted on 'abuse in Twilight'. I went googling and as I suspected theres a whole caboodle of people working in dv services and family therapy all over the world who are a bit off on Twilight for teenagers. I've been out of the loop for abot 5 years but all the flags are there...

    b) I look forward to them- I love a good soundtrack :)

    c) Yes, David did. I think Margaret gave it 2 1/2. DAvid had a hissy fit about the hand held camera and the 'nasty story' What the hey.

    d) whinny :)

    e) In my head, Haymitch was Dennis Hopper

    f) yes, you can hire movies through i tunes. Love it.

    g) Senecas beard was awesome and deserves to inspire a long term trend....

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ darthy- The Hunger Games was way way better than David and Margarets review. I was astonished. I usually agree with them too. All I can say is that I'd read the books and so maybe the film seemed better to me than it was, because it was recounting the story so faithfully. Read the books first. The film is worth a look. Jennifer Lawrence is outstanding and Lenny Kravitz wears eyeliner. hot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. e) In my head, Haymitch was Peter Pettigrew, so things could only improve from there.

    And yes - I can only surmise that bookreading enhanced the movie appreciation. A movie should be able to stand alone - but perhaps this one needed book-infatuation to back it up.

    ReplyDelete