Monday 23 April 2012

The Voice

.....anyone watching? Given this blog exists because of certain members obsession with Idol,msurely I'm not the only one to have tuned in? I missed last weeks beginning, but pricked up me ears when I heard so much positive staff room chatter. Seems we re over watching the likes of Sandipants and Holden tear delusional people with pitch problems into pieces and there is actually an interest in seeing what kind of voices can make other singers turn around. I'm loving some of the singing...hurray,they re auditioning the singers before they get on the show and it's almost all worth listening to.... Whilst no one has been bagging contestants so far, I've heard an awful lot of Delta bagging going down, much of it from singer friends and acquaintances. Um, jealousy,much? Extraordinarily beautiful very talented and a pile of arias..... Leave girlfriend alone I say; it's a tough gig, up there with the likes of Seal, and the main reality television schadenfreude is being provided in the moments when she's rejected by contestants in favor of Seal, Keith or Joel. My fave moments: Barnesy s daughter going off (THE Voice!) and the girl singing the Regina Spector song Samson (I loooove Regina Spector songs). Moments I could have done without: Seal dancing to some chick who could barely hold a tune and announcing that she could win the comp. Yes, she was hot, but wow, he must be a great singing teacher because I have nooo idea what he heard. None of the guys have got me going so far, although I know of a couple of them thru mutual music mates. Because this comp has actually got real live singers competing, rather than delusional teens. And I think that's great. What's in the water at channel nine? They've never got it right before.......

11 comments:

  1. I was working in my home office last night, but could hear the telly in the background - so really, I was on an even footing with the judges - could hear - couldn't see.
    I liked a lot of the tunes selected by the contestants, & they did a good job of the singing. I didn't hear any "joke" contestants or wannabees who needed weeding out 3 rounds ago. So in that respect, it was a thumbs up. I didn't enjoy the anguished sounds emitted from the lounge room when no judges "turned". Would I watch it next week? Probs not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, give it a go Betts, turn your chair! I think the 'blind audition' routine is seriously almost over. and yes, they can all sing, and they're not all teenagers. So refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're beyond hooked, at my house. it's like church on good friday every episode. no one is allowed to move or speak for the duration :D

    faves, as per wilms, the regina spektor lassie, the skateboarding kid, the Troubled Teen with the janis joplin pipes, the 40 year old tall bloke, chris sebastian (natch), and mahalia barnsy. totally hated the chick seal got jiggy for - wtf?

    of the 'mentors', I'm hearting joel for his everyman-ness, and inexplicably slightly fancying keith suburban on account of his decent chap creds and what appears to be quite a good brain. seal and delta not impacting much - though my kids, with narry a steerage from the parentals, have decided that delta is a figure of fun :o. oh yeah, I like looking at seal's muscles, too :p

    can't wait for more tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, the janis joplin lass!
    Bye the bye, the reggy spector girls name is....Casey. And she sounded a lot like...Casey Donovan, yes?
    Just been contemplating.
    Re your kids hating Delta: well, dur. She looks like Barbie. But I tell you what, I dont think I could handle myself with aplomb judging alongside the likes of Seal at 27 years of age. I say good luck to her.
    Yes, I love Joel and Keef as well. I'm partial to Seals hips, meself. Just wish he'd wiggle them at real talent, rather than strategically at lassies in green who can barely hold a tune:
    * Note: check out Lana del Rey's Video Games song on youtube: she's got a similar sound and style/feel to 'green glam almost in tune girl'; maybe thats why he was in a flap.
    btw, checked out The Voice website, and they have no forum. Just a page they call a V Room where they publish trending tweets. Fleetingly. If anyone finds a decent Voice forum, i'm in. I'm still friends with Pops from the Idol forum via FB, and she still has a number of old Idolites chatting on her FB page, but an open forum full of mad ranters....ah well, I can only dream...

    ReplyDelete
  5. just on that Lana thing:
    - the lips!
    - Video Games was #6 in the Hottest 100 last year
    - the lyrics! What self-respecting chick is stoked to have her bloke arrive home from work, grab a beer, give her a quick one, then settle into his Video Games?
    - the melancholy tone doesn't match the lyrics
    - Check out Bluejuice's version of the song. It's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And after watching Voice clips posted above:
    1. Why do we need o/seas judges? Oz must have some kind of inferiority thingo, needing desperate acknowledgement from peeps over the ocean (& guest folks from dumb o/s TV series turning up at the Logies) to entice approval.
    2. Is the focus of the show the singing? Or the mesmerizing "hand hovering over buzzer" antics & "thoughtful, pondering gazes" of the mentors.Show ponies!
    3. Are the contestants Ugly Duckling upped in order to enable the mentors to swan them over?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re Lana: oh, she's just all fashionable and odd. I can't talk, when I was a teenager I sat through Liquid Skynover and over. teenagers like inexplicable odd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re the os judges: yes, the os guests at the logins are allus cringeworthy. A few os musos on a music show doesn't hurt, tho. Simon Cowell was a Pom on a yank show, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re the judges wiggling their fingers over the buttons: oh yes, a shameless milking it is indeed. But infinitely preferable to the evil trading of shaming clueless people who can't sing in front of the nation, courtesy of the early Idol audition model.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re: ugly contestants: no, there are a few hotties in there and the judges looked relieved whenever they turned around and found one. Btw, my iPad has gone mad and will only let me publish one para at a time, which is why I've just written all of these posts. And it should have read 'evil tradition', not evil trade in my past post, but it won't let me go back and correct....

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll never make a pollie, Willsma, answering each point directly & succinctly. :p

    ReplyDelete