Wednesday 19 October 2011

call me anything, but don't call me late to dinner

now I know all too well that your average thinking bogan has long since done this dance, but I have my reasons for arriving at the scene of the crime long after the dust has settled. DOWNTON ABBEY yeah yeah, I was sucked in by the prospect of wall to wall early 20th century fashions and furnishings, I admit it. and lemme say before anyfink else, in this dept they succeeded beyond measure. I was almost catatonic with glee at the frocks, the hair, the whole warm, earthy unplasticness of it. having said that, it IS just a rehash of upstairs/downstairs, innit? if not then they have much to thank that heady drama for. of course we're updated for a 21st jaded bogan, what with a gay footman (as IF, said the queen mum), an earl's daughter enjoying a one night stand under daddy's roof with a TURK, no less, dysfunction not entirely comical in presentation (as per the 70's version), etc etc. have chomped through almost entire first season in a few days, and can't see myself slowing the pace. ordinary, but for the lover of 'stuff' circa 1910-1940, beyond gold! will rustle up a toob perve for the uninitiated.

4 comments:

  1. Dont know whats wrong with me, darthy, but I just couldnt sit it thru. Maybe my brain has shrunk and I cant follow involved narrative anymore; not when I've got such pretty clothes and stuff to admire. Seemed good, what I saw; just never caught enough of it to get a story,as such.
    Apropos of historical dramas, husby refuses point blank to watch anything involving Jane Auten, and refuses to listen to anything involving Mozart. Which seems an odd stance, given his brain is resonable. I dont think there's a cure. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. watched the series opening, but didn't feel compelled to sit through any more. a couple of observations:
    - historical telly shows have got to be authentic. I didn't watch enough of this one to judge, but they need to be produced with an historian on hand, just to check that a 1917 Wedgewood plate isn't shown in a 1912 dining room. With the titanic sinking in episode 1, that sets the date firmly as April 1912. For kiddies and ning-nongs, the info they receive from telly sets up their info base of history knowledge. Why just the other day, kid the younger was debating the existence of dinosaurs co-inhabiting the Earth with cave men, using the Flintsones as a point of reference.
    - women can't own property! That shitted me enough to flick off the remote. Imagine having to marry some toff just to keep your rightfully inheritated roof overhead.
    - the class system - it sucks bad!
    - manners, conventions, gossip, and society make for a dull storyline (see Pride & Prej)
    - the goodie (ie war injured valet) was highlighted with a huge arrow & sign around his neck.
    - the baddies (ie plotting mother & conniving son) likewise.
    I like my goodies and baddies a little less obvious.
    - apart from that, COOL house, and delightfully cantankerous MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sat there drooling over the frocks and the everything. paid scant heed to the insy outsy of story. Did, however, note that the evils were not in fact, mother and son. Just sour cow and queer footman conniving evily re: downfall of aforementioned virtuous valet.

    did someone mention sigrid thornton?

    ReplyDelete
  4. say wilms, did I ever tell you the funny story of my own housebloke being dragged along to see 'howard's end' with a couple of mates. just think on that, if you will. myself .. all hopped up on the possibilities of a frock filled period dramarama, and three blokey blokes who mistakenly imagined that a night out at the pics with a chick might be tolerable. especially given we were planning to hit a reggae club afterwards - where men are relaxed and ladeez asleep. if you haven't SEEN howards end, I'll tube you a glimpse and you can extrapolate. suffice to say for now, that your bloke would have empathised deeply :D

    ReplyDelete